October 9, 2010

The hard drive on my computer failed. Yeah...stupid HP. I swear, next time, if I have the dollars, I'm buying a Mac. But hey, I have it all under warranty (thanks to my mom, who insisted I have a 3 year warranty when I thought it totally unnecessary. Turns out PC's like to break. Who knew?) so my computer will have a brand new hard drive in a couple weeks.

I've read a few books since my last post but I don't know where I'm at. 60 or more. Looks like I'm gonna hit 75 books by the end of this year pretty easy.

One of the books I read recently was The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. It's a beautiful book if you can make it past the first chapter (if you've read it, you know what I mean). There is a dream-like, otherworldly quality to it that weaves in and out of the tragedy and beauty of lives shattered and remade by the death of Susie Salmon.

Another is The Road by Cormac McCarthy, the 2007 Pulitzer winner for fiction. I can confidently call myself a devoted fan, having read two of his books. Although I think No Country for Old Men was better.

I read an article about these trapped miners in Chile. 33 guys trapped under the earth for over 2 months. They just now reached them with a drill and are working on getting them out without any safety issues. They think they can have them out in a few more days if all goes well. I can't even imagine what that would be like. I'm a tad claustrophobic and being in a cave is like being in a tiny box. So by this time I would be foaming at the mouth. But hey, super glad they are getting these guys out. It's an emotional story for them and their families.

In a few more weeks, the 13th Wheel of Time hits the shelves. On November 2nd, bright and early in the morning, I will be waiting for the doors of the downtown Barnes and Noble to open. Then I will rush in, snatch the book off the shelf, buy it and probably alarm the sleepy-eyed employee who sells it to me. I imagine myself looking like an energetic squirrel holding a nut, hoping up and down on all four paws. Drooling a little. Then scampering off to my tree.

My only complaint about the Wheel of Time series are the illustrations on the cover. Please, oh please could you make it less embarrassing to be seen reading it in public?

Reading week is coming up. Where I will spend all my free time working on the four research papers due in November. Fuck.

I saw the God of Carnage last night. It's a play that won an award for awesomeness. It's hilarious. If you are in Seattle, I recommend seeing it.

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment